The Galena Gazette was located on South Main Street for most of its history. The building is now part of the DeSoto House complex. Other homes in recent years have been 103 N. Main St., 109 N. Main St., 309-311 S. Main St. Today, The Gazette is located at 716 S. Bench St. This building was initially built for a Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise. <BR><BR>
The Galena Gazette was located on South Main Street for most of its history. The building is now part of the DeSoto House complex. Other homes in recent years have been 103 N. Main St., 109 N. Main St., 309-311 S. Main St. Today, The Gazette is located at 716 S. Bench St. This building was initially built for a Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise.

In November 1834, Mr. Loring and Mr. Bartlett started a publishing tradition in Galena which has spanned more than 166 years.

On Nov. 27, 1834, the first issue of the North Western Gazette and Galena Advertiser rolled off the Franklin press. The editor noted that the newspaper "gives the news of the day and sustains the Whig cause."

With handset type in that first issue of four pages, The Gazette has evolved over the years. As Galena grew, the newspaper grew. . .not only in terms of circulation but in frequency, as well. The newspaper evolved from a weekly paper to a twice-weekly paper, to a three-time-a-week paper and then to daily publication. And for many years, the paper appeared as both a weekly and a daily.

After the Civil War, Galena's economy changed. Lead mining, once a staple of the economy diminished as the price of lead dropped. The Galena River flooded more frequently wreaking havoc in the downtown. . .plus it was no longer suited to riverboat traffic.

Through most of its history, the Gazette served the community as a daily paper, but by the early 1950s, under the ownership of Clint Youle, one of the USA's early TV weathermen, the Gazette moved to twice-weekly publication and then weekly publication.

In October 1961, two Maquoketa, Iowa businessmen, Robert Melvold and Sam Byers purchased the Gazette with their spouses, Frances Melvold and Francine Byers.

The Byers moved to Galena as resident publishers. Under their care, The Gazette increased it's page count and importance in Jo Daviess County. Under their ownership, The Gazette was the first newspaper in northwest Illinois to utilize a new method of printing newspapers, offset lithography.

The Byers remained active in the business until they retired in December 1985, when Carter and Sarah Newton purchased their interest. The Melvolds sold their interest in the newspaper to the Newtons in January 2001.